Sunday, February 4, 2018

Saturday, February 3: On the road

February 3, 2018

As I sit here this evening, in a green Adirondack chair under a thatched-roof gazebo in the courtyard of our small hotel, I feel completely comfortable.  We’ve had a lovely evening meal together and taken a walk around town, and are now relaxing at this hostel which will be our home for the coming week. 

Over the course of several hours in the car driving here today, I did not have a moment of boredom.  I enjoyed looking out the window and talking to everyone in the car about all manner of subjects. By the end of the week I think I will know a lot about all the folks in this group – which is great! 

Some observations from the day:

-At the end of our morning devotions, held in the parking lot between the two rental cars, Elissa thankfully noticed that one of our cars was getting a flat tire due to a nail. After a little rigamarole, though, we got a new one and started off down the road.
- Kara and Jacob did an amazing job driving on some challenging roads.
- The ocean looks particularly blue when contrasted with the gray DC winter weather.
- Goats are cute.

We’ve all come a long way to be here – from frozen Washington, DC; from our offices, meetings, daily routines – and spent seven hours in two cars driving through cities and countryside to a place most of us have never been. Some of us know each other well, others are still getting acquainted.  But I think we all share at least one common motivation for being here, which is to expand our notion of the community that we belong to, and to change the lives of the people we meet the way they will change ours – by beginning new friendships, becoming familiar with new places, challenging our bodies and minds in new ways.

Personally, when I am at home I spend a little too much time thinking about all the many things on my many agendas.  Already here I feel myself focusing more on the present. I hope I can practice that focus throughout the week and take it back when I go home.


--by Caryn

No comments:

Post a Comment